Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Vintage Indian Wedding Skirt


(click to enlarge)

When travelling overseas, I tend to deliberate purchases more carefully than when I'm not travelling, and during my last trip to Malaysia, I only made two fashion purchases: one was the traditional Malaysian silk batik kaftan from my previous post (Le Muu Muu), and the other was this amazing Vintage Indian Wedding Skirt.

When my eyes fell upon this skirt, they went as wide as teacups as I swiftly pounced on it. This drawstring vintage silk skirt, with its amazing embroidery, beads & sequins (which makes this skirt quite heavy), was once worn at an Indian wedding ceremony (so the tag said), and is one-of-a-kind. There were three wedding skirts at this store, and none of them were the same. Most surprising of all, was where I found it (brace yourself)...: Zara! (Yes, Zara! Don't worry, I didn't believe it either)
. Whilst trying it on I immediately pictured it as a dress, instead of a skirt, and seemed to have shocked every person in the store when I walked out of the changeroom wearing it as a halter dress (which is how I later wore it to my father-in-law's 60th birthday):


Belt: Anna Sui crystal/gold belt
Shoes: Yves Saint Laurent Dada Semi-Wedges in Platino



Top: Josh Goot racerback

Funnily enough, I have never worn this skirt as intended (ie. as a skirt), and in the past 3 & 1/2 years have used it several times as a dress:


Jacket: Kate Hurst cropped bolero
Shoes: Yves Saint Laurent Dada Semi-Wedges in Platino


So no, I didn't wear it to my wedding, but pictured above are my wedding shoes! I'm so glad I still get to wear them...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by emfaruq. All Rights Reserved.