Thursday, November 6, 2008

Packing for '4 Seasons in a Day' - Weekend away!

Tonight I pack my bags and leave for a weekend of shopping and food (Hooray! Two of my favourite things). I had semi-packed last night, but as I check the weather forecast for Melbourne, I come across a dilemma: How does one pack for 4-seasons in a day? The forecast predicts possible storms & showers, and I had packed a Willow silk coat-dress, but now am thinking a raincoat (and umbrella) may come in handy. Layering will be key. Also, my suitcase is substantially smaller than the drawing above (it was my sister's laptop bag), so that I can carry it on-board, which means I am limited for space. I also try to pack as little as possible, especially if it's a 'shopping trip', as I'm bound to find/buy something that I can wear as soon as I get back to the hotel room).  I usually dress for comfort over anything else, but this trip I'm trying for a bit of style.

My usual fashion staples for a weekend away are:

Jeans: Usually worn on the plane to reduce baggage weight, and for comfort. As I no longer fit any of my jeans (a staple in any weekend trip), this item will have to be replaced by my trusty Sass & Bide Harem pants (is there anything more comfortable?)

Sandals/Thongs: As much as I love heels, I cannot wear them as I do my shopping, as I cover a lot of ground, walking here there and everywhere. Therefore, I'm usually daggiest when shopping, often carrying a pair of heels in my bag just in case (I once got followed around in Louis Vuitton by the security guard, and I suspect it was due to me looking daggy in my Havaianas). So with me will come a pair of Havaianas (I have these in so many colours it's crazy, this trip they will be...dark silver), am now thinking of bringing these Stella McCartney for Adidas Asheni flats as it's going to rain.

Shoes: I've limited myself to one pair of heels this time, and they're the Dries Van Noten buckle sandals (chunkier heel means that I will be able to do some limited walking if required, my pain tolerance in heels is embarassing)

Bag: I usually cart a Chloe bag with me, as they're understated and very roomy. As the shoes I'll be toting in them are so bulky, I have to resort to a larger bag this time, and so I will bring my very roomy Burberry Manor (which I usually use everyday for work, as it fits...my life in it). Not quite understated, and being fire-engine red, will definitely provide a pop of colour to any outfit I wear (a definite change from my usual bag of choice for shopping).

Jacket: As it gets cold quick at night in Melbourne (and usually quite windy/breezy), a warm jacket is a must, cue Burberry navy leather jacket (I lightened the picture a little). I will also bring the Willow silk cobalt blue coat/dress as a light alternative, which I hope to pair with dresses (I'm bringing my beaded/sequinned Dries Van Noten shirt-dress), over pants, or zipped up on its own as a dress on its own (love versatile pieces).

Tops: I usually bring Sass & Bide t-shirts, but this time will opt for actual tops (probably this Dries Van Noten & a Jaclin Chouchana racerback black/grey blouse. Have decided to add this wool jersey top by Vanessa Bruno for warmth.

Accessories: I usually bring necklaces & earrings, but this time I'm only bringing one piece: the Tom Binns Faux Real cuff.

I should be good to go. Did I forget anything? Luckily I still have a few hours to go...Have a great weekend everyone! Hopefully will have some purchases I can report on when I get back.

By the by, what do you pack for a weekend away?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by emfaruq. All Rights Reserved.