Saturday, November 8, 2008

Day 1 - Melbourne Shopping Report

Day 1 - Shopping in the 'suburbs'

Purchases: NIL (Sacre bleu! Even my husband, bracing himself for a carload of purchases, was shocked to find I did not spend a penny. I call it 'museum' shopping, I was happy just seeing these beautiful items in real life, touching them, and sometimes, trying them on)

Today's Outfit: Melbourne's 4 seasons in a Day did not disappoint: rain, shine, cold, wind & sun...I wore (didn't bring my camera cable): Vanessa Bruno wool jersey & satin blouse, Sass & Bide Harem pants, Dries Van Noten black buckle sandals (occasionally replaced with dark silver Havaianas), Willow electric blue silk coat/dress, worn unzipped as a coat, Burberry red Manor bag & Tom Binns Faux Real cuff (n.b. pictures of all items in my previous post).

Breathtaking moments: Plenty to be had at the Belinda store on Malvern Road. As I entered the store, I was immediately drawn to my favourite designer: Dries Van Noten. I tried an amazing black silk dress with the most intricate & beautiful details on the sleeves, worth of framing & hanging on the wall. I paired it with the oversized bangle necklace, which sat quite high on my chest, and was fairly heavy. I also tried on the strappy sandals of the season (sadly, the colourful strappy version wasn't in store, so the ones I tried are on the left of the picture below, and I tried it on with my Harem pants, not the DVN outfit). Unfortunately, the dress was 2 sizes too big (which I knew, but just had to try it on, plus..the necklace alone was $999). I was hoping to take a picture of the amazing detail on the sleeves, but the beautiful and lovely SA was chatting to me outside the changeroom curtain, and I didn't dare. I'm sighing just thinking about it! It was truly a thing of beauty!
Other breathtaking moments: trying on an amazing electric blue Junya Watanabe dress with white trim at the neckline, it had folds and folds of fabric, that made a hood at the back. Sadly it did not fit quite right on me, and for $1070 (reduced from $1570), not worth parting with my money. Also, Alaia accessories at Scanlan&Theodore, namely a nude patent corset belt (way too small) and those strappy brown sandals (but they were in the flat version, I love the stiletto version).

Shops covered (some of):
High Street: Frock Exchange, Kirrily Johnston, Scanlan & Theodore
Malvern Road: Belinda, Empire Rose, Little Joe by Gail Elliot
Glenferrie Road: Cactus Jam & Vanessa Bruno
Chapel Street: was going to skip this altogether, but accompanied hubby to Moji (he bought a cute pair of shorts), Calibre & Calibre's outlet store (Greville St.), where I picked some amazing buys for him (great prices too)! Whilst waiting for him (vinyl record shopping), popped into Scanlan & Theodore again, Sass & Bide, Alannah Hill (just to kill time).

Food:
In the evening I went to Kanela, an amazing Flamenco Bar restaurant, and ate so much! Eating at the bar (restaurant was fully booked, so I highly recommend making a booking way in advance if possible on a Saturday, as the Flamenco show is just amazing!). The tapas was delicious (particularly the Albondegas), as was the Paella. I was bursting at the seams (after 2 tapas, paella, a sangria, and sharing a bottle of 'Marques de Caceres"), but I still ordered the churros con chocolate, and proceeded to stand to watch the beautiful Flamenco, as I was too full to sit, silly me)
Ok, I'd better head out for Day 2 now - shopping in the City. It's sunny!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by emfaruq. All Rights Reserved.