Sunday, November 22, 2009

Japan - Land of the Rising Sun - travel tips more than welcome!

I am so so so excited that in 3 weeks time I leave for Japan - Land of the Rising Sun.


pic borrowed from nytimes.com

As this is my first time there, I welcome any tips, recommendations and anecdotes of experiences you may have had in Japan...

Briefly, and roughly I plan to stay:
  • 7 nights in Tokyo (I will have to explore it slowly, as I will get tired easily - possible day trips if I feel I need to see something other than concrete jungle)
  • 1-2 nights in Hakone - onsens (natural hot spring baths) with views of Mt Fuji & Lake Ashi
  • 7-8 nights in Kyoto (with possible day trips to nearby cities)
In Tokyo, I will be staying in Shinjuku, and plan to explore:

Aoyama

In particular, the Prada store (for its incredible architecture), Dries Van Noten (so different from the Paris store!), and of course, Japanese designers/labels such as Comme des Garcons, Yohji Yamamoto & Issey Miyake



Shibuya, Roppongi Hills, Shinjuku & Harajuku
  • To explore the famous Shibuya crossing, the incredible neon lights, shops of all these areas...
  • Check out the youngsters at Harajuku (as well as the markets on Sunday).
  • Visit the Meiji shrine & Mori Tower
  • See if I can find any consignment stores with Chanel reissues (any recommendations?)



Ginza & Tsukiji Markets


I plan to explore the famous Ginza strip with its limitless stores, and will pop into Laduree & Pierre Herme as well. I also plan to go to the Tsukiji (Fish) markets, for the freshest fish sashimi/sushi ever...Ginza should be especially beautiful at night with all the christmas lights & ornaments...



Asakusa & the Imperial Palace



Hakone

Time to relax after one week's sightseeing in Tokyo, enjoy the beautiful views, onsens (sadly I will not be able to partake of this activity, but hubby, lil' sister & mom will), a boat trip along the lake...and hopefully...a beautiful kaiseki-style meal...





Then on to Kyoto - where my parents have been staying for the last few months...

Kyoto
Exploring this traditional city of Japan, the many temples, castle, shrines and gardens...Hopefully see a geisha or maiko (geisha in training). Possible day trips to Nara, Kobe (yum...kobe beef), Osaka...



Food:
Looking forward to sampling all sorts of Japanese food (bento boxes, ramen noodles, okonomiyaki, sushi, sashimi, MOS burger...

Hope to buy:
  • Vintage kimonos (any recommendations on where to find these?) - perhaps even a furisode, if I am lucky (Japanese wedding kimono)
  • Beautiful Japanese crockery/china
  • Carved and painted Japanese kokeshi wooden dolls
  • Maybe a tatami mat
  • Any gorgeous or cute Japanese thing I come across that I must have...



So, any tips/recommendations/stories/experiences?

Thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by emfaruq. All Rights Reserved.