Friday, February 6, 2009

Akira Isogawa Printemps Ete 2009

Akira Isogawa, my favourite Australian (Japanese-Australian) designer, talks about clothing as a physicist might discuss molecular behaviour, or the nature of matter:

"You must recognise that space between the skin and the body changes when the textile is loose, I feel that fashion transcends what we think it is, it should be our expression, our identity. When I design, I try to be honest and to communicate something within me. (But) my job is to cover the body in a flattering way".

(The Age Sept 2008)


















www.akira.com.au

This Printemps Ete 2009 collection was Akira's 10th show in Paris, and seems to continue on somewhat from the story of the Resort 2009 collection I posted in Akira Resort 2009. You could still find some vibrant colours, but they were not as bold, the fabrics were also softer and more fluid, and some pieces whispered with soft watercolours.

This is the first time I have seen such 'Japanese'-influenced photos used by Akira in his lookbook, as in, the cutesy poses (for GG fans, the penultimate photo reminds me of 'Blair' in that photoshoot!), the Asian model (makeup by Shu Uemura), the hair & hairpieces
.

This collection made my heart sing, especially the watercolour maxi dress, pleated mulicolour cape, beaded cropped jacket (and the beaded scarf), sakura prints, and oh my the kimono (be still my beating heart)! I absolutely adore every piece of his! And look! I had to include the last picture, as those are the best pants I have ever seen Akira design, almost like his interpretation of the Harem pant, but so incredibly elegant and poised, that outfit makes me sigh...


Side note, when chatting to the lovely Akira SA Dana, she commented on the Dries Van Noten beaded/sequinned shirtdress I was wearing, and I shared that DVN and Akira were my absolute favourite designers. We discussed that that is due to both designers' love & focus on textiles, which is one big reason why I love their designs so much, they are works of art. In fact, they may even vie for the same embroiderers...(you didn't hear that from me).

Seeing this collection by Akira has inspired me to wear his blue silk dress to my family 'do' this afternoon...In fact, I'd better go get ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by emfaruq. All Rights Reserved.