Saturday, August 30, 2008

Spijkers en Spijkers Eileen mohair kimono coat

Every Winter I feel I have 'nothing to wear', and struggle to keep warm yet stylish, despite the dozens of coats I own (I own more coats than I do skirts and pants, and absolutely LOVE them!). This year I bought these Spijkers en Spijkers coats, which are brilliant! The kimono sleeves and loose design allow me to assemble a stylish outfit underneath it (from a very blouson-like Stella McCartney jacket, to an actual Haori Kimono, or a bulky by Malene Birger alpaca cardigan) comfortably & VERY warm! I couldn't decide between the two colours, so bought both the black and the grey (a bad habit I seem to have, this time I truly thought I was going to return one, alas, I am too indecisive). Love the mirrored silver buttons, the different textures and gorgeous wide sleeves:


(www.firstview.com)

Spijkers en Spijkers is a fashion label formed by Dutch sisters Truus and Riet Spijkers in 1996 (I've been a fan since 'discovering' them in 2000). Their work is partial to Art-Deco and Modernist styles of the 1920's: 'The Modernistic aspect, ‘form follows function’, is a principle directive in Spijkers & Spijkers design process, and for them, decoration always has a functional element or defines the shape of the garment.

On trying to find more pictures of my Eileen mohair kimono coat, I was excited to see the lovely Susie (of Style Bubble) trying this coat out, showcasing it better than the runway model above.

photo from www.stylebubble.typepad
On a recent trip to Byron Bay I brought one of my coats along:
From left to right: Spijkers en Spijkers Eileen coat in grey, Vintage Haori silk kimono, Stella McCartney for Target cashmere/wool oversized zip cardigan, Burberry Prorsum striped 3/4 sleeved top, and lastly, hubby's treasured grandfather's jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by emfaruq. All Rights Reserved.